Friday, April 15, 2016

Communicating a Persona

Communicating with others is a strange and powerful thing.  Perceptions are created and personas established.

I suppose I've created a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide persona.  Most people know me as a happy, yet quiet, reserved person.  Others know me as a radical, low tolerance, no non sense, ball buster.

I have a lot of patience with students and with peers.  I have very little patience with leaders who fail to lead.  I have little tolerance for people who impose themselves on others, yet don't want to hear what others have to say.

Instead of trying to communicate with people I've lost patience with, I shut down.  I'd rather not talk then to make the effort to communicate.  In my head, it made sense.  I wasn't trying to change the world outside me, I was focused on my insides.

After serving as a leader myself for several years, my goal these last few years was to work on myself.  Improve my own skills as an educator.  I've done that and am doing that.  Now, that I'm back in a leadership position, I need to shut down Dr. Jekyll and employ more patience with people who I've become impatient with.  I need to put myself out there more as the open, kind, communicative person that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment